When the Society for the Registry of Shipping, which was to become Lloyd’s Register, was founded in 1760, Samuel Saunders was the proprietor of the coffee house.
After Saunders passed away, the reputation of the coffee house declined. Gambling and speculation was taking place. This resulted in the marine insurers of the day to procure new premises at No. 5 Pope’s Head Alley in 1769. The new house was opened on March in that year as New Lloyd’s Coffee House and a week later the first edition of New Lloyd’s List was issued.
Approximately 79 merchants […]
Edward Lloyd dies in 1713. In his will he named his daughters Mary, Abigail, Elinor and Handy, and his third wife, Martha. A codicil to his will assigned the lease of his coffee house to his head waiter, William Newton who married Handy. When Handy died in 1720 the Lloyd family ceased to have any interest in the business.
Successive proprietors of the coffee house continued to specialise in providing customers with up-to-date and accurate information about shipping and the marine insurance market. In 1727, the coffee house passed into the hands of Thomas and Elizabeth Jemson […]